Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Do you think children with split-up parents are screwed up?

As a child of split-up parents I believe I am screwed up. Screwed up as in that you are different (in a bad way) from others with more stable, loving families.





Is it just me or do you feel like you could have been a better person with both influences in your life?Do you think children with split-up parents are screwed up?
I think its different for everybody.





I mean some people are just so destroyed mentally due to it, and some act as though it really doesn't matter, etc.





For me, its kinda like the 2nd thing. I mean its been that way ever since i was really little so for a very long time this is how its been (them being seperated) hasn't really hurt me that badly, a little here and there, but not that much.Do you think children with split-up parents are screwed up?
I am from a split family. I have seen every example of all of the four emotions and every sin. I lived on a very basic farm and the heart of east Chicago. I had step family members that committed murder and did time. Incest in the family. Some were religious fanatics and some were quiet about it. I don't think I would have it any other way if it were to be done over. I didn't have a formal education, bet self educated my self to be a technical person who raised two loving daughters and have a wife of fifty years that has survived cancer and stroke. I have always lived in an upscale neighborhood. It is impossible for me to tell a lie or do anything dishonest, or harm anyone or animal. I was lucky to marry the right wife, She gets some of the credit. No I am not religious, just smart. You cannot blame your parents for your life, Just use this experience to grow strong. I sure know people from ';proper '; families that are screwed, though.
I think it depends on many factors for example the age the children are when the split happens, the relationship between the parents after the split, the bahviour of the parents before and after the split. My parents separated when I was 2 and my husbands separated when he was 3. There was little or no animosity and neither of us can remember our parents together. The only thing that happened is that marriage was not an easy decision for us to make and we went with possibly more caution than we needed. We have also realised that maybe the separations were regretted at least on the part of one parent each, but who are we to judge?


I think I would like my dad in my life more, as would my husband because neither of us ever had a step dad and relied on our grandfathers more than other kids would. I have met people who were screwed up by their parents marriage staying together so like I said, it depends on the circumstances, you can never know what the other scenario would have been so the best thing to do is not dwell on the past and concentrate on the future.
I am not from a split family (I know this is for people for a split families) and I am happily married with 5 (and about to have 7 kids). Having both influences is better I honestly think you should never leave your spouse but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. In a way the kids suffer. One of my best friends I went to school and I am still good friends with now, her parents divorced. She was 11 with 4 young sisters. It was so terribly hard for her. Her mom would work late and she'd have to babysit and on weekends. She would get pretty emotional about it. Her dad would come over sometimes and her parents would fight. In my opinion its how the kids take it. Every kid is different. They may not take it that well and act up. I went to school with a boy and he really acted up after his parents divorced. It's a sad thing. I also met a girl at camp when I was a kid and she was good for about 2-3 hours and then she got really mean and I found out her parents are divorced. I think she was hurting inside. Also my best friend is from divorced parents and she is such a wonderful girl. She never said one mean word to me and she was nice to everyone. She was 6 and she took it absolutely fine.





You can't blame your characteristics on your parents splitting up. Men and Woman have different influences on their children. It's important to have both in your life. It's not easy being a single parent. I know someone from my church who is single. It's not easy raising children without someone to turn to. It depends on the person. I think I turned out good with both in my life but I know my girlfriends I talked about will too. I say its different for everyone.
It depends.





If I look at my son, his parents split up some three years ago. He misses me a lot whenever he is with his mother so, yes, I believe there is a danger of him becoming screwed up. I am trying hard to avoid this happening.





On the other hand, I have been watching Barack Obama for the last year or so, trying to figure out if he is screwed up. He grew up without a father (that bastard went back to Kenya and left poor little Barack in the US), but as far as I can see, Barack Obama was able to cope very well.





Not totally sure yet about either the case of my own son or that of Barack Obama.
That all depends, I'd say.





I know people from parents who stayed together who are mighty screwed up because of that fact. And TONS of people with split up parents, (even quite a few people who never had a father) who turned out wonderful.





I really think the whole thing about divorce/absence of a parent is blown out of proportion. Maybe an excuse for the parents who don't try hard enough or who take out the problems on the child for when that child ends up messed up.
I think you're using that as an excuse for what's wrong with your life. Take responsibilty for yourself - if you think you are screwed up change it. You choose whether or not to be 'screwed up'.





The key word here is 'loving' families - you don't need both parents to be loved.
No, my parents were split up. That doesn't mean I didn't come from a loving home though. I received more love from a split home then some people do with parents that are still together. Both parents had an influence on my life - they didn't need to stay together to raise me.





I'm sorry you missed out.
I believe that it depends on the situation. I know off a guy with divorced parents and he is very messed up. However if they were still together there's really no way of telling if he would still deviate so intensely from the norm.
My parents split up when I was 6,I dont remember it that well and then


he moved to california when I was 7.I dont belive I was screwed up and I didnt belive that I could've been a better person with him around.
Being screwed up is all a matter of who's judging ya. I grew up with 2 parents and one was a drug addict. Still envious of a 2 parent home?
Well both of my parents are still married, but I can say that both of my parent's personalities have made me who I am today. I think I am pretty alright.
No, I am not screwed up. My parents got along much better after getting divorced.
Well I was raised by a single parent and I think I am doing pretty well. I guess it just depends on the person.
My parent's were split up (for very good reasons), I think I turned out pretty damn good.
Judging from your answers I would say ';yes';

No comments:

Post a Comment